Tuesday, May 09, 2006

the slammer


You can listen to This American Life with streaming audio at http://www.thislife.org/. I often do so while I am doing the dishes. I would like to recommend last week's program, Lockup, which has various stories about prison. I always thought that it would be fun to teach at a prison. For one thing, there would be no behavioral problems because if I student was being bad, you could kick him out. For another thing, in prison, school is a privilege. What a wonder it would be to teach students who see school as a privilege and an opportunity.

Speaking of prison (haha, bad joke), I will most likely be signing my contract tomorrow, which means I will be at ECHS for at least one more year.

Comments:
Or, if a prisoner/student was bad, you could send him to solitary, plus add time to his sentence. Imagine if that worked in HS. You could tell a kid that if he/she doesn't do their work, you'll add 3 months to their stay at ECHS.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?