Sunday, April 30, 2006

continued wedding dress woes

I started getting ready for the wedding an hour and a half before we had to leave. I showered, did my hair, did my make up, and finally, 30 minutes before departure, slipped on my dress (the $170 Anne Taylor dress that I finally settled on). I pulled up the zipper and it stuck half-way up. I asked Ben for help and giving it a mighty tug, he pulled it up the rest of the way. About three seconds later, a grand ripping noise let us know that the zipper had popped. Several attempts at zippering and unzippering did not fix the problem; the zipper (that went from thigh to bust) would not remain shut.

It was a nightmare (literally, girls actually have nightmares about things like this). Can you imagine not having a dress mere minutes before the wedding? Panicking, now only 5 minutes after we were supposed to leave for the wedding, Mommy was the calm in the storm and called the concierge to bring a sewing kit. Making tiny stitches and trying her best to hide them, Mommy sewed me into that dress up the zipper line while Daddy and Ben anxiously waited to leave for the wedding.

A carefully places shawl hid the stitching brilliantly and the evening went well. Getting the dress off at the end of the night was just as hard. Even after I took out all the stitching, the broken zipper kept me locked into that dress. I ended up having to actually cut myself out of the dress. It was awful.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?