Sunday, February 26, 2006

hiking

This weekend I hiked to Switzer Falls for the 15th time. I was amazed to discover that the previous 14 trips had been incomplete. In fact, before this weekend I have never actually hiked to Switzer Falls. In the past, I hiked to a sweet little 15 foot waterfall, enjoyed the view and headed back to the trailhead, assuming I had seen the falls. This weekend, the first time, curiosity prompted me to scramble up the rocks behind the 15 foot falls. When I reached the top, I discovered that the trail continued. 1/2 a mile later I was shocked to discover the real Switzer Falls, a breathtaking 50 foot waterfall ending with a large and deep pool surrounded on all sides by high granite walls.

It was a jaw dropping moment, partially because of the beauty of the falls, but mostly due to the shock and surprise with discovering for real what I thought I had discovered long ago.
(above) The Decoy
(below) Switzer Falls

Comments:
You mean after all my hikes there I have never actually seen Swtizer Falls??? You have really shattered my world! You will have to take me when I get home.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?