Friday, January 27, 2006

childhood obesity

Today we took a field trip to plant trees in El Segundo. Before we left, while I was buying an apple at 7-11, I observed a bunch of my students buying Doritos and soda for breakfast.

Hoping to take advantage of this teachable moment, I said, “Why don’t you guys try to find something healthy here to have for breakfast?”

“Yea,” added a helpful 10th grader (in all seriousness), “you guys should get, like, hot chocolate and a donut.”

Field Trip Highlight: Cramming 100 10th graders and 6 teachers into the public 125 Bus from El Segundo to Lawndale.

Field Trip Lowlight: Getting hassled by the El Segundo Police. Being a minority teenager in a group is apparently crime enough to get a lecture in El Segundo.

Field Trip Highlight #2: The police officer not believing that I was a teacher and lecturing me like a student. Maybe I am not aging as quickly as I sometimes feel.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?